Wednesday 10 August 2011

More Interesting Links

The first link is an incredibly detailed write up by a hobbiest board game designer on the lengths he went to to publish his game Viktory II from early ideas, through play testing, and into production.

In a spirit of full disclosure I actually brought a game of this based solely on this write up.  It got played once and if I'm honest I was not that impressed.  He did achieve a lot of his design goals however and it's a much better game then Risk.

Years back some of the first game design I did was based around trying to work out "my perfect MMORPG" - obviously never went anywhere but it was an interesting thing to do.  However I did a lot of reading around the subject and came across a really interesting blog about MMORPG design and it's still worth a read as his posts are an interesting and detailed view into computer game design.  One post in particular - balancing for awesome. A piece of solid advice about how seeking balance - perfect balance - can really damage the fun in your game.  And your much better producing balance by making things big but different - in board game terms I think Glory to Rome has this in spade.  Every time you look at a card you think - how broken is this? - but when everything is broken nothing is.

If I'm honest with myself GSH is not balanced for awesome - I'm actually just trying to balance it - perhaps a mistake but one I'm comfortable with.  After all - producing balance in some sort of ymmetrical game design is much easier then in anything asymmetrical.





No comments:

Post a Comment